Friday 26 July 2013

An Artists Journey and making the Map

'Hero journey' stories take their character as far from home as possible in search of a prize. The golden Fleece, Smaug's gold in The Hobbit, The Alchemist, I could here reference to dozens of Disney and Pixar films. These journey go full circle to reveal the prize the hero sought was at home, within them, all along. The journeys value is in self discovery rather than material discovery. These journeys and myths teach us that we must venture outside of our limitations to truly value our self and that the journey of discovery is not complete until the knowledge is brought home and shared... through story.

In real life there is no singular hero journey, nor is there ever one home to return to. There are many. This process of discovery is continuous and cyclic. After years of working in film, a place I called home, I decided to take time away. I ended my work on the Hobbit almost 3 years ago now. I ventured into the unknown, made work, found myself teaching at Toi Whakaari and started a family. I've been busy. The teaching environment was foreign to me as were my new colleagues. It was a whole new culture and language to go with it. The learning curve has been immense, the experience wonderful and at all times challenging. A family has been learning on an exponentially greater level. I have gained knowledge, experience and connection that I wouldn't otherwise have been awake to. Now though to complete the journey I will take this home, back into the industry and work I took time away from. Does that end the journey? No it merely begins another all the more complex.

Once I see my new skills in practise I will be equally as hungry to share my new questions with the colleagues I have gained. The challenges and joys I experience I will want to share with my family. I have new homes to return to now. Each home feeding, serving and growing the other.

An artist is always on a journey of discovery. Assuming, as myth teaches us, that discovery is not complete until shared with those at the origin of the story then the artist exists in a continuous process of Bilbo's 'There and back again'. 

The challenge for me now is working with the complexity of having multiple paths, multiple journeys and many homes often co existing and all needing appropriate attention. The map is no longer a venture from A - B as it seemed when I began as a graduate. It seems now the map itself, rather than the journey, may be the most challenging piece of art I ever create.

No comments:

Post a Comment