Monday 22 July 2013

A Picture of Humility

Production Designer Dan Hennah told me the quality he holds in absolute regard is humility. I have, since then, been considering what an active working relationship of humility looks like.

When I began my practise in the film industry I moved quickly between designers and films. I was hungry to learn from as many talented people as possible. I cast myself as student and the designer as mentor. The relationship was of great value to me. I learnt. But the relationships did not sustain for a long time.  My working relationship with Dan was different. This relationship, along with others, is a lasting one. Why? Through humility? Yes both Dan's and mine. A humility that is practised alongside courage.  In this working relationship I cast myself again as a student as well as a teacher. So does Dan. The humility is acted through respecting that no one can know everything and that we are all students in some way or another. It takes courage to act this way.

I met with Ra Vincent recently.  We discussed a new project. Ra designed my short film 'Night Storm' and we have collaborated on a number of other large works. Ra is now an Oscar Nominee for his outstanding (and courageous) work on the Hobbit. When we discussed the project I was nervous of where our relationship might stand. He has learnt a great deal. It would be fair to call him an expert in the field of design. In no time at all though the discussion moved away from expertise to what we can learn from the job. We explored what interesting territory we can explore next? Humility allows us to travel the work together rather than isolated within our own field of expertise.

I am in a similar piece of work with Toa Fraser and Marc Tyron. Humility and Courage once again are the defining characteristics of the work. I look forward to sharing the images and art that results from these collaborations. It may be some time away. In the interim I will continue to share what I can of my insights into the process.




No comments:

Post a Comment