Saturday 18 May 2013

We can't give what we don't have.

We can't give what we don't have. Who we are matters immeasurably more than what we know and who we want to be 
P.177 'Daring Greatly' by Brene Brown

After directing a short film and production designing another two there is hope that I might direct or production design for feature length films. This is my hope.  It is a hope shared by the people that have helped me along the way.

The danger of course is that this hope has no tangible value yet. It does not exist. It may one day but right now it does not.  I am not any of those things. They are merely aspirations. This aspiration can be dangerous.  Aspiration can create a divide between 'what I can do now' and 'what I can do later' (once my goals are achieved).  Instead of waiting to give through 'what I want' it's far better to give through 'what I have'.

What I can do now is concept art and art direction. I'm good at it. Who I am now is a much bigger subject but I feel free to say I am of enormous value to a creative team. 

Contribute through who you are now. Once we reach our goals we'll be all the more practised and able to contribute from that place and who we are then.

No comments:

Post a Comment