Friday 1 March 2013

What is the resource in the room?


What is the resource in the room?

I don’t like this question. People aren’t resource. They are people.  When considering people as a resource you come across a problem.  When looking through a lens of resource you see only a person’s current use or how that person has worked in the past.  You do not see how that person got there or most importantly where that person wants to be.  These two latter factors are far more important when bringing people to work. Looking only at resource that exists stifles innovation and creativity.

Take me for example. When someone looks at my work the resource they see is art that can get a film financed and made. This is true to a point. The problem though is that I became that resource through a hunger to learn and master a skill.  The learner is the true resource not the artist. If I loose that hunger to learn or my drive to improve the energy that makes my art alive will be gone.  To deliver great art and design it is necessary that I cast myself as a learner and explorer.  There needs to be a new challenge in every new work I take on.  I must be careful that I don’t cast myself as a resource that will be the same as I was in the past. 

It might be said that resource is used to 'recreate' a past action or event. An artist must remember their role is not to ‘recreate’ it is to ‘create’.

2 comments:

  1. An artist is not a resource, they are am artist, a creator. You're a lot more than a resource Brendan.

    ReplyDelete