Sunday 27 September 2015

The China Experience - Post 3

I’m a few months in now. Changes and improvements are happening all the time. I’ve brought in new art directors and shifted crew around to focus on quality. In NZ we have a scenic department very independent of construction. This makes for easy testing and development. Here though the scenic team is with construction and begin only once build is complete. Their lead-time to develop look and technique is very small. Getting it wrong is part of the process but getting things wrong close to shooting can create some anxiety in the crew I’m looking to avoid. We’re getting by with the system as is but insisting on more testing earlier in the process.

Location Build all going great. Studio work a little slower.  Shooting is going fast but smooth. And VFX and Edit is happening on the run but the results look strong.


I’m becoming increasingly aware of the crews desire to do more work in the future. I was told a Beijing proverb last night. It described the difficulty of spotting someone in a Beijing crowd. If you do find someone it is significant…perhaps karma. Looking at the potential of China filmmaking is like looking for someone in an enormous crowd. I know they’re there but I can’t yet see them. I’m not sure where all this is leading and to be honest I’m also a little nervous.  My home is in NZ but there is such a strong desire here for international connection that I feel I must explore what that connection might be. The next few months will reveal more and I hope my contribution goes some way to building the connections so desired.

For now here's a IMDB Link to the series so you can see some of the great cast involved. And a few pics from the journey :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5022298/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1







No comments:

Post a Comment