Sunday 17 February 2013

Build through difference

I haven't been blogging as frequently. I have been busy creating work with and for other artists. This leads me to an important question. Do I still have a voice when being lead by another? Do I retain my voice when I am the follower?

First it is important to identify that I value 'following' greatly. The person who leads shouldn't always be the strongest, fastest or best but rather the most appropriate to context.  By this I mean to say the leader should be the voice of greatest impact. Let me give an example. When arguing the need for better care for impoverished children in NZ would the message be better held by a politician or by a child?  The child of course would create the strongest impact. Context is everything when deciding who must lead.

In the context of my present work I am a follower. My task is to know what I hold as a follower in relation to the leader. When I meet with my director through a piece of work I am held to a vision. I achieve that vision but I also hold difference.  If I were to deliver only what was asked everyone would be happy. Great work though should make us more than happy. I also deliver what I want.  The director then gains choice, diversity, the unexpected, new ideas, inspiration, potential. He gets great work.

The leader has vision and lays down the challenge. The follower responds and builds off the leaders challenge. Together they build through difference. Either way each voice is important and needs to be heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment