Thursday 6 December 2012

Response is creation, not judgement.

Response is creation not judgement. Or at least it should be.

The strongest response we gift as artists is to create something. A recent example. When I shared a piece of work with another artist they didn't respond with, 'I like it' or 'I don't like'. Their response wasn't one of judgement. They responded by describing a world they imagined. It was neither criticism or praise. Their response was to create. What followed in me was a wonderful burst of ideas. Because of their gift I immediately moved into making more work.  Would I have had the same reaction had they said, 'It's good, I like it'?

The response of creativity is the gift everyone can give, not just artists. In the practice of responding with creation we grow stronger bonds and better work.

'Liking' something on facebook or in person is of course a wonderful encouragement. So is a panel of judges selecting those with talent. This is a great thing. It has it's place. Judgment alone though doesn't take work or relationship forward.  To create better work we need judgement with a little room for creative response.


No comments:

Post a Comment